The Agricultural Census (AC) 2006, to which the metadata review and data presented here refer, is the second agricultural census to be undertaken in China after the AC 1996.
The objective of the Second National Agricultural Census is to understand in an overall manner the basic situation of agriculture, rural areas and residents of the country in order to build up foundation for the study and foimulation of economic and social development planning and scientific decision-making and to provide statistic information service to agricultural producers and operators as well as the general public The objects of the Second National Agricultural Census are the following entities and households within the territory of the People's Republic of China:
(1) Rural household: it includes rural agricultural households (rural household agricultural holdings) and rural other households no matter whether the register identification of members of the household is local or not and whether is agricultural or not. Rural agricultural households refer to those households engaged in agriculture activities, including crop farming, forestry, animal husbandry, fishery/aquaculture and agricultural service in rural areas. Rural other households refer to those households inhibited in rural areas withou tengaging agricultural activities.
(2) Urban agricultural household (urban household agricultural holdings): it refers to those households engaged in agriculture activities, including crop farming, forestry, animal husbandry, fishery/aquaculture and agricultural service in urban areas.
(3) Non-household agricultural holding: it refers to legal entities, agricultural establishments of legal entities with multiple-establishments and unregistered entities that basically satisfied with the qualification of legal person, which are engaged in agriculture activities, including crop farming, forestry, animal husbandry, fishery/aquaculture and agricultural service except households. It includes not only enterprises, public service organization and cooperative of farmer households with agriculture as the major industry, but also agricultural establishments of agricultural production and operation affiliated to industrial and mining enterprises, government agencies, social groups and schools.
Kind of Data
Census/enumeration data [cen]
Unit of Analysis
The scope of the Second National Agricultural Census includes crop farming, forestry, animal husbandry, fishery/aquaculture and agricultural service.
Agriculture & Rural Development
Forests & Forestry
Food (production, crisis)
Basic social services
The statistical unit of the AC 2006 was the agricultural holding, defined as the household or the entity in the non-household sector engaged in crop farming, animal husbandry, forestry, fishery and agricultural services on agricultural land, and that meet one of the criteria specified as a threshold (see section 7 below). The agricultural holdings were classified as: (a) household agricultural holdings or (b) non-household agricultural holdings, as identified by surveying the following entities and households within the territory of the People's Republic of China: (i) rural households;' (ii) urban agricultural households;2 and (iii) non-household agricultural holdings (agricultural establishments).
Producers and sponsors
National Bureau of Statistics (NBS)
Agricultural Census Office
(a) Demarcation of enumeration area
- Enumeration area is demarcated according with the area administered by villagers' committee as a unit. Each enumeration area is manned by at least one supervisor;
- Under the Enumeration area, sub-enumeration areas are established according with villagers' group in principle. If no villagers' group has been set up, or the villagers' group is excessively big or the boundary is not clearly defined, or the households of the same villagers' group are dispersed in over 5 clusters, clear geographic marks should be used to demarcate the sub-enumeration area. The size of sub-enumeration area and the number of enumerator is set for the completion of field enumeration in 10-15 days. Usually, the size of sub-enumeration area is 50 to 100 households. It could be 20-50 households in the area with less population density and difficulties in transportation. Each sub-enumeration area is manned by at least one enumerator.
At village level, the household list for rural residents was used as the census frame. For non-household holdings, administrative records for enterprises from government regulatory agencies were used as a reference for the census. The enumerators were required to identify each eligible enterprise and establishment in scope.
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
Data Collection Notes
The interviews were conducted face-to-face during visits to the household, enterprise and establishment and the information was collected in paper forms (using the PAPI method). The questionnaires for the non-household agricultural holding were filled in by self-enumeration.
Four types of questionnaires were used in the AC 2006:
(i) questionnaires for households (which covered all households in rural areas and urban agricultural households)
(ii) questionnaires for agricultural holdings in the non-household sector (three specific questionnaires for different types of units)
(iii) village questionnaires
(iv) township questionnaires
(v) agricultural land questionnaires
The AC 2006 questionnaires covered all 16 core items recommended for the WCA 2010 round, namely;
0001 Identification and location of agricultural holding
0002+ Legal status of agricultural holder
0003 Sex of agricultural holder
0004 Age of agricultural holder
0005 Household size
0006 Main purpose of production of the holding
0007 Area of holding according to land use types
0008 Total area of holding
0009 Land tenure types on the holding
0010 Presence of irrigation on the holding
0011 Types of temporary crops on the holding
0012 Types of permanent crops on the holding and whether in compact plantation
0013 Number of animals on the holding for each livestock type
0014 Presence of aquaculture on the holding
0015+ Presence of forest and other wooded land on the holding
0016 Other economic production activities of the holding's enterprise
(a) DATA PROCESSING AND ARCHIVING
A combination of different methods, such as manual data entry and scanning, was used for census data capture. The software used for data capture, processing, analysis and tabulations were aPRAS and SAS. Microdata were stored on the server.
(b) CENSUS DATA QUALITY
After enumeration was completed, the ACO organized three-level data quality checks, including the PES of households, data verification on agricultural land parcels, and the proof for data processing.
The PES of households consisted of 110 sample counties covering 330 census areas, and more than 20 000 households. It was
conducted using a stratified two-stage sampling method. The census data were verified against the registration results of the AC.
Scanning (OCR) was used for census data capture. Census results were disseminated and are accessible online.
National Bureau of Statistics of China
Address: No. 57, Yuetan Nanjie, Sanlihe, Xicheng District, Beijing 100826, China
Telephone: (+86) 10 68782869
See also http://www.stats.gov.cn/english/
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses