The country conducted the first Census of Agriculture (CA) in 2007.
The Census of Agriculture in the Republic of Macedonia was conducted in the period from 1 to 15 June 2007. The data in the Census forms have been recorded according to the situation on 31 May 2007, and for certain questions the data refer to the period of one year prior to the Census, namely from 1 June 2006 to 31 May 2007.
The following units were covered by the Census:
- Individual agricultural holdings
- Households that own forest
- Households that own fish pond
- Business entities and the local units which in accordance to the National Classification of Activities, by main activity are distributed in the sector of Agriculture, hunting and forestry and
- Business entities and the local units which in accordance to the National Classification of Activities, by main activity are not distributed in the sector of Agriculture, hunting and forestry, but which perform activities in this sector (agricultural schools, borstals, agricultural scientific institutes, religious communities and other).
Kind of Data
Census/enumeration data [cen]
Unit of Analysis
The census scope covered agricultural activities (crop and livestock production). The census covered also all households that own forests' or fish ponds.
Agriculture & Rural Development
Forests & Forestry
Food (production, crisis)
Land (policy, resource management)
The statistical unit was the agricultural holding, defined as an economic unit of agricultural production that meets specific size requirements (see section 7 below). The CA 2007 covered the following types of holdings: (i) holdings in the household sector ("individual agricultural holdings" and households that own forest and/or fish ponds); and (ii) holdings in the non-household sector (business entities).
Producers and sponsors
State Statistical Office
The CA 2007 was organized according to the concept of complete coverage ("door to door"), which means that during the CA, all households on the territory of the Republic of North Macedonia were visited and recorded. The CA 2007 was conducted using complete enumeration.
Dates of Data Collection
Data Collection Mode
Data Collection Notes
Census data collection from holdings in the household sector was carried out by trained enumerators, using the PAPI method. Business entities were required to fill in the census questionnaires themselves and send them by post to the State Statistical Office (self-interviewing, mail-out/mail-back method).
Two forms were used for census data collection:
· Questionnaire for individual agricultural holdings (Form ZEM.R1)- for individual agricultural holdings, as well as for households that own forest or fish ponds; and
· Questionnaire for business entities (Form ZEM.P.2) - for business entities and local units covered by the census.
UTILISED AGRICULTURAL LAND
SEPARATE PARTS OF USED LAND
TOTAL AVAILABLE LAND
USED ARABLE LAND, GARDENS AND KITCHEN GARDENS
VEGETABLE, FLOWERS AND DECORATIVE PLANTS
MIXED, COMBINED AND SUCCESSIVE SECONDARY CROPS ON ARABLE LAND
LIVESTOCK BY TYPES AND CATEGORIES
The census covered all 16 core items recommended in the WCA 2010.
Data capture was done using manual data entry. The software used for data processing, analysis and tabulation was SAS. The PES was performed to check the quality of census data. Fifty EAs were selected for the PES and approximately 2 percent of the total number of individual agricultural holdings were interviewed.
The final census results were published in three volumes (one for business entities and two for individual holdings) in December 2007. The publications include data on the national and regional level (according to the Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics, NUTS 1 and 3 level). The publications and other census results are available on the institution's website.
Dame Gruev 4,
the Republic of North Macedonia
Telephone: (+389) 2 3295600
Disclaimer and copyrights
The user of the data acknowledges that the original collector of the data, the authorized distributor of the data, and the relevant funding agency bear no responsibility for use of the data or for interpretations or inferences based upon such uses